What Are We Reading Wednesday


I have decided to start a regular weekly post to share with you some of my favorite literature that I share with my students.

Every Wednesday I will be posting

What Are We Reading Wednesday.

So here goes the first edition...


In The Legend of Spookley, the Square Pumpkin by Jim Troiano, we learn that it is okay to be different, even if you are a pumpkin.

Spookley is a square pumpkin in the middle of a pumpkin patch full of round pumpkins. He begins being sad that he can't do what all the other round pumpkins can do because he has straight sides. Until one day there is a terrible storm. All the round pumpkins are rolling all over the place except Spookley. Spookley comes to the rescue and saves the other pumpkins. Be sure to check out the story to see how the pumpkin patch is never the same again. It's a sweet story full of rhymes that your students are sure to love.

You can get this book from the Scholastic Firefly October order for $1.00! Be sure to get more than 1 copy because you will want to share.

Here's a game I created to go with the book!  It is a GREAT way to integrate literature into you math time. In this game the students review plane and solid shapes as they move around the game board.  Just print, laminate, cut, add a die, and friends to get some geometry practice in this Halloween season.

Click on the picture to grab your own copy. ENJOY!


Stop by tomorrow to check out some other activities I have created to go with this book.

8 comments

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing! I love this book! :)
Cheryl
Crayons and Curls

alicia_teague said...

This is one of my favorite fall books! I am so excited to have a game to go with it!

Debbie said...

I love this story too and actually had it in my plans to read to my first graders today. Now I am super duper excited... as they are going to love playing another one of YOUR fabulous game creations to go along with the book! Hooray! YOU ROCK, Kathy!!!!

Can't wait to see what else you have planned!

Jen R said...

I LOVE this book - and we are doing him next week! I even have the movie :) I'm so excited to add in your awesome creations you make!!! Thank you!!

Unknown said...

I love this book for this time of year!! Thanks so much for sharing!

❤Mrs. McKown
Little Literacy Learners

kinderpond said...

I have never heard of this book! I wonder if my school library has it- I hope so!


Jennifer

mumzie said...

Thanks for sharing!

Bible Fun For Kids said...

This is a great game! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

THANKS for taking the time to comment!