What Are We Reading Wednesday



This week's post is on a book that I've been sharing with my First Graders for the last couple of years at this time of year.


The Little Green Witch by Barbara Barbieri McGrath is a Halloween version of The Little Red Hen. In this story, the little green witch is looking for some help planting, watering, picking, carving, and making pumpkin pie.  However, the bat, ghost, and gremlin are not willing to help.  Of course at the end of the story, everyone wants to eat. The little green witch eats the pie all by herself after she turns her friends into...guess what...little red hens!

This is a great book that can easily be paired with The Little Red Hen to make text to text connections.


We also compare and contrast.


Click on the pictures above to grab your own copies. ENJOY!

Also, here's some orange for today...


a math activity to practice addition and subtraction.

Click the picture below to grab your own copy. ENJOY!

(Just in case you don't see it, it's a jack-o-lantern!)

10 comments

Jena Snowden said...

That jack-o-latern is AWESOME! Would you consider doing a how to post on creating those sometime?

Jena
1st Grade with Miss Snowden

PS: Have you ever gotten an email from me thanking you for the weather games from the science week giveaway? I tried to email you a couple of times but for some reason they weren't able to send. Anyway, I thought the last time I tried it went through. Thanks again!

Kathy said...

Yes Jena...I just got it the other day. THANKS!! I can try to do a post on it. This was my first one I did totally on the computer. I have made them in the past by hand. It takes a LOT of time and patience! My students have always loved them!

Kathy

Kimberly said...

I have never heard of The Little Green Witch before. Gonna have to check it out. LOVE the jack-o-lantern! Thanks for sharing your hard work.
Kimberly
Funky First Grade Fun

Mrs. Wheeler said...

Kathy--we read this story last week and I blogged about it. I have a written response on my blog, as well as an art project! I hope you can use one or both. I know I have used many of your things. Thanks, as always, for sharing!

Megan
www.mrswheelerfirst.blogspot.com

Kathy said...

I'll check it out Megan. THANKS!

Kathy

Melissa said...

Totally cute! Love the Jack-o-lantern!

Tami said...

Thank you SO much! I bought this book the other day and was just trying to figure out some fun stuff to do with it! Awesome!!

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness that Jack-o-lantern is amazing! I'm so impressed! BTW my kiddos loved your Spookley game!

Rachel
Ed Link - First Grade

Jen R said...

I totally just stumbled across this book last week for the first time ever while perusing the books at B&N...how did I ever miss this book?? But I will say that what's even sadder??? Most of my kids have never heard of The Little Red Hen to even compare it...sheesh!

Kristin said...

This author also writes a Christmas version called "The Little Red Elf"! It's just as wonderful as The Little Green Witch :)

Post a Comment

THANKS for taking the time to comment!